There are no records for Raleigh’s Ilkeston Specialist Bicycle Development Unit (SBDU) workshop. That means there is no guaranteed way to determine the build year of any SB numbered bike unless the frame comes with accurate and original SBDU based documentation. Over the last few years I’ve collected information on hundreds of SB bikes and frames and I’ve been able to put together the following guide to finding a build date for one of these frames.
I update this list whenever I unearth new frame information. The current list is up to date as of June 2017.
- (1974) Start SB1 : End SB50
- (1975) Start SB51 : End SB500
- (1976) Start SB501 : End SB1010
- (1977) Start SB1011 : End SB1870
- (1978) Start SB1871 : End SB2600
- (1979) Start SB2601 : End SB3400
- (1980) Start SB3401 : End SB4200
- (1981) Start SB4201 : End SB4900
- (1982) Start SB4901 : End SB5650
- (1983) Start SB5651 : End SB6300
- (1984) Start SB6301 : End SB7000
- (1985) Start SB7001 : End SB7700
- (1986) Start SB7701 : End SB8430
- (1987) Start SB8431 : End In the Range SB8432 – SB8438…
- SB Frame Production relocated to Nottingham
Each range of SB numbers is as accurate as I can determine based on the small sample set of SBDU data that I have. Since compiling my initial list, all of the subsequent information I’ve found on SB frames has fitted well within my existing ranges. However, I am aware that there will be frames out there, yet to be documented, that will change the data I have, so please check back regularly for updates.
I’ve tried very hard not to just throw together a random list of numbers. I’ve delved into SBDU data, frame features and SBDU design trends to pull together valid points to back up my list. For a detailed look at my theories behind each ‘Year Range’, have a look at here at my SBDU Ilkeston Date Timeline