Notifications
Clear all

Special bikes need special wheels... (just a little "toe in the water"-type of post - to say hello)

peacefulpete
Topic starter
(@peacefulpete)
IMG 8436

😎 

5 Replies
5 Replies
Neil McGowran
Admin
(@originalshinkicker)

Paul
 Paul
(@paulsa)

I built my first wheels last week, Record hubs & Open Pros with repro stickers to make them look old school.

FEC096A6 F63F 4717 B5CC 91B067849F9C
E14BA285 3391 45C2 A33C CC981A39FAAC
Neil McGowran
Admin
(@originalshinkicker)

Brilliant! How did you find the whole wheel building thing. Some love it some hate it, I find it to be a good process, lacing and gradually tensioning while keeping things true and central, I enjoy it. And it is an amazing feeling riding a bike with your own wheels holding everything together.

Paul
 Paul
(@paulsa)

I entered with some trepidation, but that was mostly spoke length paranoia.

I was fortunate that my next door neighbours have the Park Pro truing stand which they kindly loaned to me. The wheel building guide I used was great, including plans on how to build a dishing tool and a few other tools.

I started with the front wheel which was very straightforward, but made an error on the rear trying to get my spokes to match the marks on the 2nd hand hubs so I had to strip and rebuild. 

Once I fixed my mistake it was also fairly simple. I found the methodical approach quite relaxing. Looking forward to my next one which is to turn the rear rim around on my G40s - the labels are the wrong way round and it’s always bugged me.

Paul
 Paul
(@paulsa)

And you’re spot on, it was an awesome feeling riding along on wheels i’d built. Especially when they are still dead true after the somewhat bumpy ride I took them on!

Share:
%d bloggers like this: