Notifications
Clear all

restore or modify

jeroen_m
Topic starter
(@jeroen_m)

Hi all,

To get right to the matter:

I have one announcement and two questions...

My name is jeroen and I live in Arnhem, the Netherlands. Repairing, remodelling, restoring and riding bicycles has been more than a hobby for as long as I can remember. Currently, I’m working on an old Raleigh road bicycle.  So far the announcement😉

Q1: Can anyone tell me anything about the authenticity of this bike. Is this the real deal? Is it special or maybe rare? All I have are the pictures attached.

Q2: I’m entertaining the idea of changing the blue to black. I believe the black and creamy white combines very nicely with the red and yellow bands from the decals. (The resemblance to the German national flag is a minor outcome and coincidental).
So change blue to black, yes or no?

Thanks for any replies

IMG 0826
IMG 0825
IMG 0824
IMG 0823
IMG 0822
IMG 0821
IMG 0820
IMG 0819
IMG 0818
IMG 0816
IMG 0815
IMG 0814
IMG 0651
IMG 0423
IMG 0422
IMG 0421
IMG 0420
IMG 0419
IMG 0418
IMG 0417
IMG 0416
IMG 0415
IMG 0414
IMG 0415
IMG 0416
Topic Tags
3 Replies
Neil McGowran
Admin
(@originalshinkicker)

Hello Jeroen

Your frame looks like a Raleigh Lightweight Unit frame. The 3rd digit in the frame number sequence identifies this as a 1983 frame. These aren't particularly special or rare, however, this one is a nicer one with Campagnolo ends rather than the widely used Gipiemme frame ends. It's a nice quality 531 frame.

Those blue and white team colours are very popular - I'm not sure how it would look with black replacing the blue? But it is your frame so choice is yours.

Neil

jeroen_m
Topic starter
(@jeroen_m)

@originalshinkicker

Hey Neil,

thanks for your reply, exactly what i needed to know.

Before I can even start on the paint, I need tot figure out a way to cover of the lug under the sadle in order to protect it during painting. Masking tape is not the solution as i found out last night, can't make a nice clean curved cut.

Appreciate all suggestions

Regards

Jeroen

Neil McGowran
Admin
(@originalshinkicker)

Masking tape can work, you just have to be careful and maybe overlay smaller bits of tape to create the curve around the lug...

SB4059 1980 TI Raleigh Team Pro Reynolds 753 Frame Transfer Removal Masked Frame
Share:
%d bloggers like this: