Part two of the build to restore SB6398… and all that frame prep in part one will pay off now when I fit the head set and bottom bracket.
These are the only two components that came with the Super Record 50th Anniversary group set that were not specifically designed and branded in the same was as the rest of the group. They don’t have the gold, they don’t have the logo and they don’t have the signature, they are standard kit – that is how this limited edition group was supplied.
This is the Super Record 4041 ‘Road’ version.
English Thread: 1" x 24 tpi Crown Race Diameter: 26.4 mm Pressed Cup Outside Diameter: 30.2 mm Stack Height: 43 mm Weight: 141 grams
Everything is prepared so this should be straight forward. Starting with the crown race. The crown race is a press fit with a ‘drift’ onto the fork crown. You should hear a significant change in tone when the race is fully seated against the shoulder of the fork crown. I’ve used a small amount of grease to cover the bare metal. Most of this will be squeezed out when the race is fitted in place.
I’ve covered the bearings in a layer of grease, but don’t be tempted to use too much, it will just come out when the fork fits into the lower bearing cup.
Because each end of the head tube has been faced and has been taken back to bare metal, it should have a small amount of grease applied to cover the metal surface. Again, it will mostly be squeezed out when the cups are pressed in, but the grease and the flush fit of the cup against the tube will seal that bare metal and protect it.
The top cup can fit into the frame any way around, but there is always discussion about which way the bottom cup should fit. Head set cups like this Super Record version have writing surrounding the outside of the cup and different mechanics will have different philosophies about which wording to put at the front and the sides of the head tube.
For me, this is different for each model from each manufacturer. But on this occasion, with this cup, I have placed ‘Campagnolo’ at the front and the words ‘Brev’ and Itaty’ on each side. So from left to right, the cup reads ‘Brev Campagnolo Italy’.
The top cup bearings get a similar light coating of grease. I also put a few drops of some standard oil on the fork thread and fit the fork into the head tube. The oil helps the alloy thread of the top cup screw down smoothly.
This headset came out of this frame so I don’t need to measure and trim the steerer, it’s already the right length. The spacer goes on (the right way up) and the top nut screws on. I’ll adjust the headset when the bike is built and the wheels are on the ground and the brakes are attached. For now though, that is the head set fitting complete.
The Bottom Bracket (BB)
This is the Nuovo Record 1046/A ‘Road’ version.
Most people assume that the Super Record 50th Anniversary group came with the Super Record Titanium BB (4031). In fact, my research shows that the majority came with the steel Nuovo Record BB.
Thread: English 1.370 x 24 tpi Shell Width: 68 mm Axle Length: 114 mm Axle Marking: 68-SS Weight: 277 grams
The fixed cup goes in first, and just like the head set, the bearings are sat in a layer of grease within the bearing cup; not too much as it will just squeeze out when it is fitted. Before the cup goes into the frame, the larger part of the BB sleeve is fitted into the inside of the cup, it has a lip that sits just inside the cup. A little bit of anti seize compound on the thread and it is ready to fit.
I’ve seen lots of mechanics use the Campagnolo 793/A BB tool to fit a fixed cup. Personally, I think it is a little overkill, all you need is a good fixed cup spanner. The 793/A is excellent for removing stubborn and tight cups, but just too much for installation.
That is the fixed cup, bearings and sleeve fitted. The axle slots in from the other side with the axle stamping markings reading from the rear of the frame. The shorter part of the sleeve fits into place on the adjustable cup.
The ‘2 pin’ adjustable cup spanner threads the cup in perfectly leaving just enough threads for the lock ring. I’m leaving it there for now, as I prefer to adjust the bearing with the right hand crank attached – having the crank fastened to the axle gives a better feel as you can use the crank as a lever to check for play on the bearing.
So far, I’ve not touched any of the actual 50th Anniversary Super Record parts… that comes next time. But before they go on this frame, they need lots of cleaning and lots of work to rusty chrome.
Chainset, seat pin, front and rear derailleurs and wheels all coming up in part three!
All posts in this restoration series…
Here it is, the time has finally come… It’s time to build SB6398. The end result of this build will beContinue Reading
Part two of the build to restore SB6398… and all that frame prep in part one will pay off now whenContinue Reading
Part three is here..! That means I finally get to work with the Campagnolo Super Record 50th Anniversary group. PartContinue Reading
I’m well on the way to getting every part of this build back to their very best. Part three wasContinue Reading
All of the 50th Anniversary parts that I’ve carefully and patiently cleaned over the last couple of weeks have been re-unitedContinue Reading