It’s been 18 month since I claimed to have finished this build and posted the complete bike post and build specification. With most things however, nothing is ever finished. My Team Pro was ‘complete’, it was a fully built bike, but it wasn’t at the level that I really wanted; certain parts were still missing. The last few missing parts have finally been sourced and fitted.
So what was missing from the original specification I posted? I was working towards completing a bike that had the spec listed in this letter from Gerald O’Donovan.
The parts I didn’t have 18 months ago to mirror this spec were the ISCA Tornado Saddle, correct tyres (the letter listed a range of tubs), Maillard Compact 7 freewheel, the black Sedisport chain and Sturmey Archer Toe Clips and Straps.
The first item I found almost straight away, was the ISCA Tornado saddle. I had a Brooks Professional saddle fitted originally. The Brooks was a gorgeous saddle, and many TI-Raleigh Team Pro enthusiasts will use that saddle but it is probably more suited to an early to mid 70s model. To fit in with most of the other components on this bike, the Tornado I picked up was NOS.
The next missing item I picked up was the Maillard freewheel and black Sedisport chain (both NOS). I originally had the bike fitted with a 6 speed Regina freewheel and Regina chain, so fitting the 7 speed freewheel, even a ‘compact’ involved quite a bit of work. The rear Campagnolo Record hub had to be re-spaced to increase the length of the axle on the drive side, slightly reducing the axle length on the non drive side. This changed the wheel dish by moving the rim away from the centre of the lock nuts. Getting the correct axle spacing is only part of the problem as you also need to consider clearance for the chain so that it clears the inside of the drop out when in top gear. A little bit of work with a spokey, jig and dishing tool had the wheel correctly dished again. My bike now had the correct 7 speed freewheel and chain.
That is where the build stalled for a little while. Money had run out and searching for correct Clement tubs was almost impossible. But a few weeks ago, I found some NOS Clement Paris Roubaix – they are listed on the spec so I had to have them. I have to say, they look awesome fitted to the NOS Mavis SSC rims.
Some of the most elusive items in the SBDU spec are the Sturmey Archer Clips and Straps. I had originally fitted some beautiful NOS Campagnolo alloy clips as I just couldn’t find the correct items. The Campagnolo clips are brilliant and light but were still not correct. I didn’t even know what the Sturmey Archer clips would look like. After hours looking for examples of these toe clips on the internet, I found the following leaflet.
It even says “As used by the TI Raleigh-Creda Team”. So this is what I was after – but chrome or black?? After scrutinising just about every image in The “Raleigh 125 Years” anniversary book, it is clear that the chrome finish was used. Searching the internet for months proved successful and I found some used but very clean examples in size ‘L’.
The only item on the SBDU spec that is still eluding me is the Sturmey Archer Toe Straps. In the meantime, I am more than happy with the NOS Alfredo Binda Extra straps that I have fitted. All I have done is fit some NOS ‘REG’ toe strap buttons in red.
One last finishing touch I have made is changing the rivets securing the head badge to the frame. When I first got this frame, it had horrible brass self tapping screws holding the badge in place. One of the first jobs I did was replace them after finding some brass rivets. They looked so much better but always niggled me as brass didn’t ‘appear’ to be right. Most original frames I had seen had rivets that looked more like grey metal than brass, so I found some that looked more correct and fitted those.
The bike is now as complete as I can get it at this time. I still need to find those Sturmey Archer Toe Straps in order to ‘sign off’ this build. One other thing that would be great to get for my OCD is a set of NOS Campagnolo brake cables in black. The cables fitted to mine are NOS period correct Campagnolo Super Record cables but in grey; most images of the TI-Raleigh team in the early 80s show black cables – that bugs me ever so slightly! For now though, I’m happy with the bike I have…
As I often do, I’ll be heading into the photography studio in the next couple of days to document every detail of this build.